Guidelines for School Board Meetings
All Board of Education meetings will be presided over by the Board president with the primary purpose of conducting the business of the Board in a responsible and expeditious manner. To provide for full and open communication between the public and the Board of Education, a specifically designated time will be set aside for public comments at regular meetings of the Board of Education. The public participation portion of the school board meeting will adhere to the following guidelines:
- The Board of Education reserves a total of five minutes for public comments at regularly scheduled meetings as a method for residents and other interested persons to address the Board on agenda items.
- Persons may speak only once and will be limited to five minutes without consent of the Board.
- The first three persons who sign up may address the Board. Once presentations have reached fifteen minutes, a majority of those board members present may extend the time allowed or schedule a public meeting to further address the issue. Other persons are encouraged to submit their comments to the Board in writing.
- The Board of Education and administration welcomes public/community input and comments but will be unable to respond during the meeting. All comments brought forward will be addressed by the Superintendent or appropriate staff members within one week.
- The Board of Education may refuse to address an issue that has not gone through the appropriate grievance procedures; however, the Board President will direct the administration to follow up regarding any questions or comments.
- Issues involving students or personnel will not be discussed in open session due to legal restrictions. Comments and concerns can be submitted in writing. Requests to discuss personnel or student issues in executive/closed session must be submitted in writing to the Superintendent seven business days prior to the Board meeting. Please specify the desire to be heard in closed session.
- The Board of Education would like to remind all speakers that they are liable for any defamatory comments made during the public comment portion of the meeting.
- Please keep all comments courteous, respectful and appropriate so the Board may use the information provided to make quality, informed decisions that are in the best interests of the District.
A person wishing to address an item on the agenda must complete a request form. Forms are located at the Board Room entrance and are to be completed and returned to the Board Secretary prior to the start of the meeting. Persons may speak once and are limited to five minutes without consent of the Board. The Board President will ask individuals to stand, state their name, and approach the podium before making any comments. The Board of Education and administration will listen to all comments, but will be unable to respond during the meeting. All comments brought forward will be addressed by the Superintendent or appropriate staff members within one week.