Northland Center for Advanced Professional Studies (Northland CAPS)
Apply for Northland CAPS
About Northland CAPS
Northland CAPS is open to students from the school districts of: Kearney, Liberty, North Kansas City, Park Hill, Platte County and Smithville. Click here for additional information.
Northland CAPS OverviewStudents in the Northland CAPS program meet for 2.5 hours every day, either in the morning or afternoon, securing high school credit and college credit. Northland CAPS courses are facilitated by a certified instructor and are located at the business partner site, e.g. Holland 1916, North Kansas City Hospital, Cerner.
Students gain access to high demand/high skill careers working with professionals everyday. Learning is driven by the business partner projects, resulting in highly engaged and motivated students. Formal instruction is minimal due to the fact that learning occurs in real-time, while students collaborate across teams and subject areas to complete a project goal.
- ENGINEERING AND ADVANCED MANUFACTURING: Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing is designed for students who are interested in engineering and manufacturing fundamentals, entrepreneurship, and innovation. Students experience hands-on, active learning with full immersion in real-world projects sponsored by business partners like Ford Motor Company, Holland 1916, Garmin, Black & Veatch, Burns and McDonnell, Honeywell. Engineering projects are tailored to student interest in the fields of chemical, electrical, mechanical, civil, environmental, software/computer, architectural, advanced manufacturing, robotics, biological, and environmental.
- GLOBAL BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP: In Global Business and Entrepreneurship, students partner with local, regional, national and international businesses to produce marketing plans, advertising and promotional plans, customer research, social media plans, event management, and strategic plans. They will be able to communicate with expert professionals locally and globally, while working as a team member on projects with their companies developing life-long mentoring relationships.
- MEDICINE AND HEALTHCARE: Medicine and Healthcare fully immerses students in North Kansas City Hospital and Liberty Hospital providing unprecedented access to real world experiences in the dynamic field of medicine and healthcare. In the classroom, students will expand upon principles of human physiology through in-depth case studies of body systems, develop fluency in basic medical language, formulate treatment plans for patients, practice physical assessment skills, and perform patient care and life-saving procedures within a simulation lab. Students will receive certification in CPR and AED.
- TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS: Technology Solutions is ideal for students who are interested in developing the professional and technical skills required to forge forward in exploring all areas of technology and creative design. Students interested in technology will perform real world projects for clients utilizing the expertise of diverse guest instructors, mentors and business partners, e.g. Cerner, NetStandard, Sprint, and other technology companies. Students interested in design will create a wide array of digital assets in a profession-based learning environment, which provides opportunities to collaborate with mentors and business clients, e.g. Hallmark, VML, Barkley, HINT, MindMixer.
- GLOBAL LOGISTICS AND TRANSPORTATION: Global Logistics and Transportation is ideal for students who are interested in developing the professional and technical skills required to forge forward in exploring all areas of logistics and transportation. Students will learn a set of skills that will allow them to effectively streamline the flow of materials, finances and information for a company. This program addresses concepts, techniques and systems used in supply chain management and decision support. Specific areas include manufacturing planning and management techniques and systems, inventory management, warehouse layout, distribution management, routing and scheduling, process analysis, network analysis and the application of simulation and optimization techniques.