The Platte County R-3 School District has made some adjustments for Summer School 2020. The purpose of PCR-3’s Summer School Program is to provide an experience that is relevant, rigorous, and engaging, based on individual learner needs, in a safe and caring environment.
What are the dates for summer school 2020?
- Grades 9-12 online and credit recovery courses (for incoming and current PCHS students) will take place virtually in June 2020.
- All K-8 and in-person grades 9-12 Summer School will not occur in June 2020.
- With guidance from our local health department and the Missouri Department of Secondary and Elementary Education (DESE), Platte County School District will be offering in-person, K-8 grade summer school, on weekdays, July 6 through July 31, with the following stipulations:
- Classes will be limited to less than 20 students, and 6 ft. spacing for seating will be provided
- Classes will stay together, remaining in stable groups - no assemblies or co-mingling of classes
- Students and staff members should wash hands with soap and water for at least twenty seconds as frequently as possible, should cover coughs or sneezes (into the sleeve or elbow, not hands), and should appropriately use face coverings consistent with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when physical distancing is unable to be maintained; please provide your own face covering (the District has a limited supply of extra coverings)
- Buildings and high-touch surfaces will be regularly cleaned and sanitized
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Mike Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the hours for summer school?
- 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
What grade is my child considered for summer school?
- The grade they will be entering into for the 2020-21 school year (i.e. 3rd grader in 2019-20 school year will be enrolled as a 4th grader for summer school).
Is there a cost for attending summer school?
- No, there is no cost to attend summer school.
Where are the summer school sites located?
- Pathfinder Elementary: Kindergarten – 4th grade (students from Pathfinder and Barry attendance areas)
- Siegrist Elementary: Kindergarten – 5th grade (students from Siegrist and Compass attendance areas)
- Barry School: 5th grade – 8th grade (students from Barry School attendance areas)
- Platte County High School (Paxton Center): 6th grade – 8th grade (students from Platte City Middle School attendance area) and 9th-12th grade (PCHS students)
Are meals provided during summer school?
- No food service is available during summer school; however, a daily snack will be provided.
Is transportation provided?
- Yes, transportation is provided on an abbreviated bus stop plan. Please see routes and schedules linked below.
Is Y Club available during summer school?
- Yes, Y Club is available for students attending summer school in grades Kindergarten – 5th grade while summer school is in session. Y Club will be held at Siegrist Elementary and Pathfinder Elementary. Students are not automatically enrolled in Y Club by selecting Y Club on your summer school enrollment. Registration for summer Y Club programs (day camps and before and after summer school care) can be completed here: https://kansascityymca.org/programs/summer-camps.
How do I enroll my child for summer school?
- For current Kindergarten to 7th Grade students (next year's 1st through 8th grade students), enrolling your child is as simple as completing the e-form form via Parent Portal, starting on March 9, 2020.
- Incoming Kindergarten students should complete summer school registration forms when completing their regular school year enrollment paperwork.
- High school students enrolling in summer school should complete PCHS's enrollment forms, which will be available in April.
Who do I contact in the event I have more questions about summer school?
- District Contact: Dr. Mike Brown, 816-858-5420
- Pathfinder Site Administrator (Grades K-5, Pathfinder and Barry students): Lisa Thomsen, 816-436-6670
- Siegrist Site Administrator (Grades K-5, Compass and Siegrist students): Michael Powers, 816-858-5977
- Barry Site Administrator (Grades 6-8, Barry students): Lisa Thomsen, 816-436-6670
- Platte County High School – Paxton Center Site Administrator (Grades 6-8, PCMS students and Grades 9-12): Shari Waters, 816-858-2822