• Common Health Issue Information


    Students with a history of asthma/wheezing often require medical management during the school day. Having an asthma action plan on file in the health room is important for caring for your student. If your student will need an inhaler at school, a current Asthma Action Plan from your health care provider is required. 

    Students in grades K-3 are not permitted to carry and self-administer inhalers at school. Please contact the health room staff to discuss your student's condition and inhaler use. 

    Students in grades 4-12 who have been diagnosed with asthma are permitted to carry and self-administer inhalers at school with the following forms on file in the health room:

    The physician's form may be faxed to your child's school.


    Students with diabetes have unique health needs which require careful management. Providing the health room with information about your student's needs is an important part of caring for your child while they are at school.  The Diabetes Care Plan will help the health room staff to care for your child. Parents must provide all items necessary to care for the student. Items such as a glucometer, insulin, syringes, needles, alcohol pads, snacks, or glucose tablets for hypoglycemic episodes can be kept in the health room. The health room staff will notify you when supplies need to be replaced. 

    Please visit with the health room staff at the beginning of the school year and whenever your child's care regimen changes. We are committed to providing the best care for your child. 


    Food Allergies

    Health Services takes food allergies very seriously.  If your child has a food allergy, please notify the health room with the specific allergy, what the symptoms are if your child would ingest the particular food, and how you treat the symptoms.  If your child requires the use of an anti-histamine or an epi-pen, you will need to provide the medication to be kept in the health room.  If your child is old enough to self-inject, they may self carry an epi-pen. You will also need a Food Allergy Action Plan, signed by your health care provider to be kept in the health room and shared with the classroom teacher and any classroom your child will be in during the day, such as, but not limited to, PE, Music, Art and Library.  Please talk with the health room staff in your student's building for assistance.  

    If your student will be self-carrying their Epi-Pen, you must have the following form completed and on file in your student's health room.

    Permission to Self-Carry Medications (must be completed by parent/guarding AND health care provider)

    Other Allergies - Bee/Wasp Stings

    Bee stings are a common outdoor nuisance. In most cases, bee stings are just annoying, and home treatment is all that's necessary to ease the pain of bee stings. But if you are allergic to bee stings or you get stung numerous times, you may have a more serious reaction that requires emergency treatment.  If your child has a known allergic reaction to bee/wasp stings, it is important to complete a Bee/Wasp Sting Action Plan.  Having an updated plan completed by your health care provider, is important.  If your child requires and antihistamine and/or Epi-Pen, you will need to provide any medications needed to care for your child in the event of a stinging incident.  Please visit with the health room staff in your child's building for additional information.


    Seizure Disorder

    Effective and safe management of seizure disorders requires careful planning with the parent, student and health room staff.

    Completing a Seizure Action Plan  provides health room staff with information to care for your child in the event of a seizure at school. The information also helps plan for any accommodations which may need to be implemented to ensure a safe environment. 

    Please visit with the health room staff of your child's school to help develop an individual health care plan to help your child fully participate in school.


    Special Dietary Needs

    The Platte County R-3 School District offers school breakfast and lunch through OPAA! Food Service. Students who have a disability which may prevent them from eating meals prepared by the food service may be eligible for accommodation. Please contact Special Services for information. The Medical Statement for Students Requiring Special Meals must be completed  and signed by your health care provider with the specific needs of the student identified. The form will be kept in the student's health chart and a copy will be given to the food service manager in your child's building.

    Please visit with the health room staff to discuss any concerns you have regarding your child's dietary needs.