It's as easy as ABC, 1-2-3 to become a Substitute Teacher
A-Apply to be a Substitute Teacher. Click here to apply: current openings
B-Background check - You must have a current background clearance no older than 365 days. Go to www.machs.mo.gov to complete the online piece of your background check. The correct code for substitute teachers is 1629. The fee is $40.50. Once you have your background confirmation number you will make an appointment at an IdentoGO Missouri location to have your picture and fingerprints taken. As an applicant who is the subject of a national fingerprint-based criminal history record check for noncriminal justice purpose, you have certain rights which are discussed on this form here.
C-Certification - If you don't already have a Teaching Certification apply for a substitute certificate. Click here and you will be taken to the DESE (Department of Elementary and Secondary Education). The substitute page will give you the information to apply for a substitute certificate. DESE charges $50.00 for a four year substitute certificate.
Platte County R-3 is accepting substitute teacher applications at this time. Please see current openings to apply.
** The process above, must be completed before your application will be considered. All subs must substitute for a minimum of five (5) days each school year to remain on the list. For substitute questions contact Bobbi Wheeler 816.858.5420 x 2120.
Substitute PayrollSubstitutes are paid on the 10th and 25th of each month. If the 10th or the 25th falls on a holiday or weekend, payday is the last business day prior to the 10th or 25th. Please refer to the Payroll Dates below. All substitutes will be paid by Direct Deposit. Substitutes will use Time Clock Plus to record time worked. Time Clock Plus is located on all the school computers.
Substitute Salary Info
- Substitute teacher pay is $95 a day or $12.67 an hour. If a substitute works less than a full day, they are paid hourly. A full day is considered 6.5 hours or more.
- If hired to be a long-term substitute teacher for a certified teacher, you will begin to receive an increase in pay to $140 a day upon the 6th day after substituting five (5) consecutive days for the same certified personnel. This does not include the 3 days of training prior to the long-term position starting. If a substitute works less than 6.5 hours a day, they are paid hourly. A full day is considered 6.5 hours or more (capped at 7.5 hours a day).
- Substitute paraprofessional pay is $12.67 an hour (capped at 7.5 hours a day).
- Substitute admin assistant pay is $12.67 an hour (capped at 8 hours a day).
- Substitute nurse pay is $17.00 an hour (capped at 7.5 hours a day). Clocking time in excess of 7.5 hours is not permitted without prior approval from the Health Services Coordinator and building administrator.
- Substitute custodian pay is $10.15 an hour (capped at 8 hours a day).