Welcome to Great Beginnings Preschool
8:45 to 11:45 a.m. and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m
for Great Beginnings at District Education Center
7:30 to 10:30 a.m. and 11:40 to 2:40 p.m.
for Great Beginnings at Barry School
The classroom design and daily schedules, while carefully planned to include math and language arts learning, play time, music, and a healthy snack, are flexible. Active, hands-on learning is key in the preschool classroom, with children's work prominently on display signaling to students that the room belongs to them. In addition to the learning classroom, a playroom has been constructed to develop both gross and fine motor skills that enhance the ability to learn. Great Beginnings uses a "Project Construct" curriculum that has been developed from research demonstrating that learners construct knowledge through interactions with their social and physical environments. A "Project Construct" classroom values and respects students as learners and persons and:
- Uses students' interests to motivate and engage them in learning,
- Encourages children to collaborate and work together,
- Allows children to take initiative, express opinions, and make choices,
- Views children's errors as learning opportunities,
- Assesses children's thinking, as well as their work, in order to teach more effectively.